Saturday, October 19, 2013

Anabaptist theologies conference

A lot has happened since I last wrote.  I have found that my silence over the last while is a reflection of 1) having been more exhausted after some recent events, and 2) feeling less and less confident about saying anything about South Africa the longer we've lived in the country.  Still, as we move through our last few months here, I will try to post some news and reflections.  I'll start with something that took place last week.

From 6-8 October, I participated in a conference organized by the Anabaptist Network in South Africa on the theme of Anabaptist theologies in South Africa.  I prepared a paper on the convergences and divergences between Anabaptist and Pentecostal Christianity, inspired by my work with African Initiated Churches and other Pentecostal churches and informed by the work of many scholars of both Anabaptism and Pentecostalism.  The experience proved to be a way of tying together some of the main themes of our work here in South Africa, perhaps in a way bringing a measure of closure to our time (though we still have significant events on the horizon).

The conference was held at Volmoed, a Christian retreat and conference center located in the heart of the world's largest floral kingdom.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment